Sunday 23 September 2012

Until the end of the world

Haven't seen you in quite a while
I was down the hold just passing time
Last time we met was a low-lit room
We were as close together as a bride and groom
We ate the food, we drank the wine
Everybody having a good time
Except you
You were talking about the end of the world

I took the money
I spiked your drink
You miss too much these days if you stop to think
You lead me on with those innocent eyes
You know I love the element of surprise
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You...you were acting like it was
The end of the world

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim
Surrounding me, going down on me
Spilling over the brim
Waves of regret and waves of joy
I reached out for the one I tried to destroy
You...you said you'd wait
'til the end of the world
 


If there is a perfect song on the leitmotiv of guilt, the U2’s song is for me an undisputable candidate for it.

According to the most common interpretation, the lyrics illustrate the last momenta of the relationship between Judas Iscariot and Jesus, told from the perspective of the former. References to biblical story, including the last supper, betrayal in the garden and Judas overwhelmed with pang of conscience appear clear, but somehow I have never been fond of this elucidation. Mentioning ‘being close together like bride and groom’, or ‘playing the tart’ verges on hinting on a homosexual relationship between Jesus and Judas Iscariot, which would have been a pure sacrilege.

From the first time I heard it, in late 2002, I have construed the song as a confession of a man who seduced a woman and is full of remorse on account of his deeds. “Until the end of the world” has besides and thus has a very personal dimension for me.

Today, while sitting about in an empty office, trying to oversee content-related aspects of a new supporting IT tool for underwriters (incidentally, I believe this will be a huge botch-up, the implementation phase reveals this is bound to fuck things up, rather than revamping the current process, this always happens when a man is harness to serve its tools, not other way round), I let my mind drift away and pondered upon relationships between women and men, or rather a single facet of them, namely why usually women pair up with older man. The reasons why men fall for younger women are quite obvious (albeit I have not reached the age when younger girls would impress me and still prefer a bit older ones), while motives behind women’s preference of older males remain a bit puzzling for me. I know women seek mature, responsible, wealthier guys, but are these the only reasons? Is it the matter of cultural stereotypes, stating a male should be older? I believe in the era of thriving liberties such prejudices should not play any role. Among the readers of this blog there are surely men married to much (more than 5 years) younger women, so maybe they wield the key to the door? Or maybe before posting comments they should take their wives’ advice?

Tomorrow the main opposition party will host a debate of economists on its recently announced economic agenda, by many hailed as disastrous for public finances. Many renowned economist are expected to turn up, albeit some eminent figures, such as dr hab. Leszek Balcerowicz and governor of the central bank, prof. Marek Belka declined to attend it. The debate will be held tomorrow at 10:00 a.m., so I will not be able to keep track of it and hope I will find an extensive on-line transcript of it. This will help me not only assess key proposals in PiS’ economic agenda, but also review the economists’ stance on it. I hope the discussion will be purely substantive and I am looking forward to more such initiatives. PiS have finally showed they want to do something to move Poland forward, rather than simply slating the government (faring worse and worse indeed).

Meteorologists are forecasting a full-blowm summer to come over around the next weekend. Temperatures in the last days of September are said to hit +30C which would mean record-breaking temperatures during astronomical autumn. So if this comes to a pass, the coverage of the debate might be delayed by one week, so I am apologising in advance. If the last of the summer beckons, resisting to indulge in outdoor activities would not be forgiven.

1 comment:

Michael Dembinski said...

The ideal age difference between a man and a woman is 7-8 years.