Sunday 23 June 2019

Delfin - book review

The book has become famous for mere one sentence which, if my memory serves me right (after reading the book myself, my copy changes hands and a queue of people waiting their turn to borrow it from is long enough for me to keep a list), can be found in the last paragraph at the bottom of page 239, in which the author mentions in passing Mr Morawiecki (current prime minister) and his wife have adopted two younger of their four children (one of tabloids has highlighted the piece of news which allegedly had been known publicly).

Conspiracy theorists (on whose side I am this time) claim the tabloid’s publication has fortuitously coincided with release of another book (I have also read it), by Tomasz Piątek, Morawiecki i jego tajemnice, which explores and backs by references links between Mr Morawiecki, his father Kornel and several people from Mr Morawiecki’s milieu with… Kremlin. Just like Mr Macierewicz, whose secrets, including ties with the Russia Mr Piątek had discovered, Mr Morawiecki does not feel like commenting on the book (suing for a libel does not come into play, since Mr Piątek brings up facts, ask numerous questions, but does not make affirmative statements).

Returning to Delfin, the author, Piotr Gajdziński, formerly a chief public relations officer of Bank Zachodni WBK (whose CEO Mr Morawiecki was between 2007 and 2015) and a close workmate of the current prime minister, actually washes the dirty linen in public. Shedding light on events from corporate past of Mr Morawiecki which took place more than a decade ago (Mr Gajdziński was fired by Mr Morawiecki in November 2010 for lack of line-toeing submission) does not take my fancy, but the end of familiarising ordinary people with what Mr Morawiecki is like, justifies the means. In this instance I believe the effort of the author has definitely been the lesser of two evils (the bigger would be keeping it to himself).

I will not divulge the content of the book, nor will paint the picture of Mr Morawiecki’s traits. I want you to reach out for the book and find it out yourselves! Cross my heart, to my best knowledge, which goes beyond what is written in the book, the picture painted there is accurate and by no means exaggerated. Those who know my identity realise what I wish to put across…

The transfer of Mr Morawiecki to politics was a great relief to Bank Zachodni WBK. Sadly, at the expense of the entire country. Mr Morawiecki has the right to have his own views (even despite pretending to have been someone else before his shift to politics), yet his traits of character should disqualify his from being a statesman (but make him a perfectly suitable candidate to perform managerial roles in wicked corporations). Each day of his premiership goes to the detriment of Poland not because of his views (which do currently do not square with mine, but did twice when I had chances to talk to him face to face), but because of what he is like.

No comments: