Sunday 30 August 2020

Szlachetna Paczka – back as a volunteer

Last year I seriously got involved in Szlachetna Paczka as a donor. Having seen the misery of families, I resolved to sacrifice more than money and some time, I have decided to spend even more time helping those in need and join the initiative as a volunteer.

In June and July I went through recruitment process and have been enrolled as a volunteer in the region of Ursynów. Yesterday I had an all-day onboarding workshop, run on-line. The biggest challenges lie still ahead. In October I will visit families reported to the initiative, then pick those which deserve to be helped, recognise and structure their needs, then co-ordinate with donors the delivery of gift packages to the families.

The description above puts very briefly what I am in for. I promise to write a separate post about each stage (picking families, working with donors, delivery of gifts to selected families) as the time goes by.

Next months are bound to be a period of facing constant time shortages. Szlachetna Paczka is a time-consuming occupation, fourth quarter is customarily the busiest season at work (and this year pandemic-driven slowdown will bear the additional brunt on my workload) and finally my private life has shaped up and I need to foster it, therefore long notes on the blog are not in the offing.

Next Sunday I set off to Bieszczady (first time in my life), for a long-awaited holiday trip (before the number of new infections soars), first since June 2019. Do not expect me to post before mid-September.

1 comment:

DC said...

The skansen near Sanok is wonderful and worth a visit.