Sunday 8 July 2018

Early Autumn?

A short note today, as I am busy and a bit of stressed-out for private reasons.

Spring in 2018 was probably the warmest in the history and one of the driest ever. So far, the number of days when temperature in Warsaw exceed +30C has reached 6, versus long-term average of 5 per year. And bear in mind this is early July, the summer has just begun.

Deficiency of rainfall is visible everywhere. In my parents’ garden the soil is dry as sand. Yesterday, as I paid them a visit, I could not stand the sight of the lawn, which I had attempted to bring back to life in April and which was consciously watered by my father, but despite that it has dried up.

Yellow leaves fall down from trees everywhere, the grass in town is also yellow. Yellow colour prevails over greenery. Recent rainfalls have helped little and customarily for summer downpours, while one spot can enjoy a downpour, another one a few miles away might not see a single droplet of rain (out of luck were the southern suburbs of Warsaw several times).

The forecasters herald some summer storms in the coming days, yet with little certainty. Looking forward to this unusual weather cycle unfolding. The seasons of the year have accelerated in 2018 (except for winter which kept its grip until the third decade of March) so I am curious what the next weeks and months bring.

No comments: