Sunday 28 April 2019

“That’s what she said”, but is that what she meant?

Lucy (namely customarily changed)and I have known each other for some less than 4 years, I think. We met in the New Factory, around 3 years ago we tried to go out, i.e. went out to town a few times, got somewhat closer than holding hands, yet we both realised there was too little chemistry between us to pair up, yet enough to pal up. As adults do, none of us has taken umbrage and though she no longer works with the New Factory, we see each other a few times a year. Since the going-out attempt, I have found a girlfriend, she has found a boyfriend (we both got to know our second halves), I have broken up with the girlfriend, she and her boyfriend are still together.

Two weeks ago Lucy asked me on messenger how I was doing with decorating my flat and the progress of moving in. In response, I sent her some photos, she insisted I showed her the flat, rather than just pics. Recently I have embraced all forms of gate-crashing, so I suggested she came over on the same day.

Knowing our relationship was clear I expected she would pay me a visit, take a mini-tour through the dwelling, we would eat or drink something, have a chat and she would go away. She came with a bottle of wine, yet firmly insisted I did not open and keep it for a better occasion, in the meantime she called her boyfriend (who was spending the weekend at his father’s) and told him where she was, the visit followed the scenario I had outlined before.

On Easter Sunday my parents spotted the bottle of wine. I told a female friend of mine had dropped in on me and had brought it. They were convinced she had come with a clear intention and I had missed an opportunity. On Easter Monday when I went for a long walk with my father he told I should have shagged her, for pleasure. There was no reasoning with parents, but let’s leave this thread off.

The story illustrates not just the generation gap (my friends see the same disparity in perception of the same behaviours between their parents and them), but how times and acceptable behaviours have changed as well. What a few decades ago was a clear signal of interest (and for many a step too far), today is just a meaningless friendly visit and I am convinced (knowing Lucy for many years) if I had made a pass on her, I would have ended up slapped in face, she would have made off and the circle of my friends were have got narrower by one person.

I am far from commending the Islamic model in which a woman cannot talk to another man if her husband is not around, I am also far from condemning the current laxity of female-male relationships, yet the distinction between showing (a sexual) interest and being nice to a man has waned in recent years. When ambiguous jokes, despite #metoo, have become the order of the day, when being nice to a male friend has the same appearances, as picking a boy up, the importance of flirt, a sophisticated art of tightening a relationship into the romantic angle, has waned and I deplore about it. We, males, as straightforward human beings, happen to get lost in it and misread (in both ways) the signals sent to us by females.

Is the friendship between a woman and a heterosexual man possibl?. I argue, yes, as long as a man does not find his female friend sexually appealing. I have a few female friends, most of them are objective attractive, but I personally do not find them sexually attractive, which is absolutely normal, unlike willing to have sex with any creature of the opposite sex. This lack of sexual attraction ensures the relationship is safe and rules are clear for both parties.

As I concluded the conversation on the situation above with one of my female friends (10+ years since hitting it off without understatements), a male is a too straightforward creature to think up the concept of friendzone. Having gone through some ups and down in relationships and endavours to enter into them, I feel seasoned enough not to fall into the trap of the friendzone. If I am interested in a woman, I will not try to get closer to her by reaching the status of her trusted friend and getting stuck in that position while someone else will shag her (pardon the explicit language). In majority of situations such approach means I lose a woman (who wants me to be her friend, but not boyfriend) at all, which ensures I emotionally close such chapter, not caring whether it might hurt her, therefore the loss is preferable to a delusion.

No comments: