Sunday 25 October 2020

Pandemic diary - week 32

Monday, 19 October 2020

Do I fear I catch the virus? Not much. But I fear complications, i.e. aftermaths in my lungs, heart or brain. I fear if I catch it, I inadvertently infect someone else or somebody else in the chain dies. I fear my parents get infected. I fear the overstrained health service does not help my relatives with their ordinary health problems. I fear doctors will have to decide who to rescue to who to let die. I fear the sight of coffins on the national stadium. It’s hard to have a restful sleep these days.

Slovakia plans to test its entire population over the coming 2 weekends, in attempt to crack down on the virus. Experts claim it is a shrewd move. I keep fingers crossed for Poland’s southern neighbours.

 

Tuesday, 20 October 2020

The number of deaths in CEE per 1 million citizens reported in October 2020 exceeds the one in countries of Western Europe. Does it disprove the assertion our genes give us better protection?

I ponder upon helplessness in struggle against the virus. A year ago the problems we are facing today seems unimaginable.

 

Wednesday, 21 October 2020

The daily number of new detected infections in Poland exceeds 10,000 for the first time.

Have you noticed every time prime minister Morawiecki speaks of the pandemic, he begins by indicating about countries which fare worse than Poland in their fights again coronavirus? But he will fool fewer and fewer Poles.

 

Thursday, 22 October 2020

Czech Republic and Belgium are the most hit by the virus. In recent days the number of daily new detected infections in both countries exceeded 1 per 1,000 citizens. In other words, 1 in 800 residents was confirmed positive in one day. Multiply it by 5 days and divide by confirmation rate of 25% and you arrive at chances of meeting an infected person of 1 to 40 (or 2.5% in each encounter).

We are following the path of the Czech Republic, but are two weeks behind them. The country goes into a fortnight-long full-blown lockdown today. I believe this is inevitable in Poland and commences around the end of first decade of November.

 

Friday, 23 October 2020

My self-isolation lasting 10-days is over. Neither my girlfriend nor I have not had any symptoms. In the evening I pop over to my parents, but all the time wear a face mask and gloves and keep distance. I will not approach them for a month since today.

New restrictions come into force tomorrow, including a “soft prohibition” to elderly (70+) people from leaving home. My parents refuse to follow it and say they will go out, taking the proper precautions. I support them in their decision. Locking people up at homes has detrimental impact on their mental and physical health.

 

Saturday, 24 October 2020

Today I was supposed to have a first meeting with a family (2 hours spent in their dwelling, which is a much bigger peril than doing shopping or riding a bus) being a potential beneficiary of Szlachetna Paczka. The meeting has been called off 2 hours before, but this is just a deferral.

Today is the first day restaurants are closed, yet dance schools are open. Leakages from the government reveal a full lockdown, even deeper than the one from March or April is on the table. I still believe it will be in effect in the second and third decade of November.

No comments: