Sunday 12 February 2023

In which I catch COVID-19

Nearly three years into the pandemic and having taken four doses of vaccine against COVID-19 (second booster on 24 October 2022) for a long time I kept escaping an infection. But if you live normally and take no other precautions that getting a jab, catching the virus is just a matter of time.

Saturday, 28 January 2023
I attend a housewarming party – over 30 people on mere 30 square metres. Mostly likely I got infected there. I am not sure, since the host claims no one reported being ill afterwards.

Thursday, 2 February 2023
I feel a bit off-colour. While attending my fitness / workout classes I get tired quite quickly, but I don’t find it disturbing.

Friday, 3 February 2023
I wake up with a fever (body temperature of +38C) which I bring down with a painkiller, then feel strangely – I have a weird headache, my stomach turns upside down, I feel dizzy. On that day a penny drops. On that day the number of confirmed infections in Poland is above 1,000 for the first time since October 2022.

Saturday, 4 February 2023
I feel quite weak, worn-down. Before leaving to my parents just in case I take a test. The outcome is positive. I repeat the test after 2 hours of not eating nor drinking and again it is positive.

Sunday, 5 February 2023
I visit a doctor, to find out my lungs are clear and my employer-paid healthcare plan does not cover testing. The doctor does not even ask if I need a sickie.

Monday, 6 February 2023
My weakness continues, I feel dizzy, but have no other symptoms. Needless to say my infection escapes official statistics.

Tuesday, 7 February 2023
I grow even weaker and work from bed most of the day. Those days I sleep 9 – 10 hours each night.

Wednesday, 8 February 2023
I think I am finally on the mend, despite testing positive in the morning. In the evening I go for a walk. I don’t get particularly tired, but feel dizzy again.

Thursday, 9 February 2023
I cannot judge whether I would have felt better, had I not worked for 11 hours. Apart from the “dizziness” which does not ease off, I recover.

Friday, 10 February 2023
Again I get tested positive. This gets slowly boring…

Saturday, 11 February 2023
Despite the ongoing infection I wear a mask, go to the shops, go the a museum for an exhibition. Nobody around cares if the virus is around, so why should I excessively care about other people. I hope to turn negative soon and to have no long-term complications after the infection.

2 comments:

Michael Dembinski said...

Get well soon. Let's hope you never get Long Covid!

Edge of Chaos question: when you went to the house-warming party - did you for one second consider that you might catch Covid at it?

student SGH said...

Today I walked 10 storeys upstairs in my office and done well. On Sunday I took a 7-kilometre walk and went to the swimming pool and also did not get tired. With a mild course of the infection I also hope to avert the complications.

Yes, just like when I sit behind the wheel I always consider I might have a traffic accident. Yes, I deliberately took that risk (with no major fear) and it materialised!