Sunday 15 August 2021

Szlachetna Paczka - edition 2021

My regular readers definitely remember my excitement about participation in Szlachetna Paczka last year, which upon learning what it is like, turned into a bitter frustration, which I vented by moaning about all drawbacks of the charity initiative after the final weekend.

In late 2020 I resolved to give myself time to think over whether I would take part in the next edition. With time bad memories faded, while the good one began to come forward. I still longed for doing something salutary for the society and hence mulled over joining Szlachetna Paczka again. At the beginning of July I learnt Piotrek, a fellow volunteer with who I co-ordinated logistics last year, had been appointed a leader of Ursynów region. I definitely have been on the same wavelength with Piotrek and have known he has all essential hard and soft competencies to become an outstanding leader. The news tipped the scales and… I applied and have been signed on.

I realise with Piotrek as the right man in the right place, several issues which got on my nerves last year would be improved, while some will not be sorted out. Volunteers will still be measuring up against families that do not deserve the wise aid and in terms of organisation and logistics much will still leave a lot to be desired.

Early in 2021 I also weighed up my decision pandemic-wise (as I had to self-isolate and fork out private money to get tested before meeting with my parents on Christmas Eve). I am fully vaccinated, the percentage of fully vaccinated residents of Warsaw reaches now nearly 65% and is likely to hit 70% by the time we begin to visit families, therefore I consider my choice not to involve excessive risk.

Despite some doubts and bitter experiences, I feel confident the decision to carry on as a volunteer is the right one and this is the role I am cut out for. I believe each man who has come into considerable wealth should share their resources with those worse off. I have decided to commit my spare time and energy, not just a fraction of the excess money I have.

No comments: