Sunday 7 July 2019

By car? Why?

When choosing a property to buy (I consider a purchase to meet one’s own housing needs) one of primary factors taken into consideration is a location. A prime place to reside in, apart from unmeasurable factors which boil down a spirit of the place and features of a specific dwelling, such as layout, storey, amenities, must be well-located.

Why have I chosen to live a particular part of Ursynów? Not just my fondness of the district and its distinguishing climate, but practical reasons. Needless to say I spend just a fraction of non-sleep time at home, but I get about regularly to specific places.

To work – regular route covered back and forth usually five times a week. My dwelling is just less than a kilometre from the entrance to an underground station, which gives an opportunity to have two short walks, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. The door-to-door journey takes me on average 45 minutes, assuming I march to or from the underground station. If I am in a hurry or carry a laptop and a bag with packed lunches for two consecutive days, two bus lines: 179 and 192 can take me the underground and save my time. The underground trains, unless somebody attempts to commit suicide or leaves unattended luggage, are the most reliable and quick form of public transport in Warsaw. My goal of not being car-dependent in terms of commuting to work has been attained. Since moving in, I drove to work once, to bring a table delivered by a courier to my office. The door-to-door journey in each direction lasted 50 minutes…

To do the grocery shopping – three or four times a week. Lidl, being my primary discount shop where I stock up in basis stuff is less than 100 metres from my door; for no apparent reason some of my neighbours drive there to do the shopping… Biedronka where I reluctantly venture to hunt “second item cheaper” bargains is next to Metro Stokłosy, so I can pop by there on my way from work. Auchan where I shop around once a week is nearly 3 kilometres away and sadly there is no direct bus connection there. I can walk to the shop, but lugging a heavy bag with my spine is a no good idea… I take then 179 bus and change it for 504 near Multikino. Tesco Kabaty is available by 179 bus, yet I dislike the hypermarket, its layout, plus its pricing policy is inferior to Auchan, Lidl and Biedronka...

To visit my parents – once or twice a week, 9 kilometres by car (which is the shortest distance I happen to drive if I sit behind the wheel) or 7 kilometres by bike, weather and circumstances permitting. Close enough to pay them a late afternoon visit, if I don’t feel like putting in calling on them into my weekend agenda and sufficiently close if at emergency (they are getting older so such factors needs to be taken into account). But going to Nowa Iwiczna by public transport means a door-to-door journey no shorter than fifty minutes (compare it to 20 minutes by car in non-peak hours or 25 minutes by bike) and this shortest journey involves a three-kilometre walk through Las Kabacki… I have never tried it and do not intend to try.

To the swimming pool – located roughly a mile from my house, I get there by 504 bus. I laugh at people who drive 2 kilometres to a gym to have some exercise…

I generally do not understand why so many locals drive around Ursynów, especially since the district is nearly constantly jammed because of the ongoing construction of Warsaw’s Southern Bypass. Since moving in I have used the car for mid- and long-distance journeys. The car sits idle on average on 3 out of 4 days (nearly 3,000 kilometres covered over 3 months) and used only when it is far more convenient way of moving around than public transport or a bike.

Would I consider selling the car and switching to car sharing or car rental then? In a week I will present to you a number-backed analysis with detailed assumption which would answer the question whether with my car usage patterns it makes economic sense to own the car. I will compare the total cost of ownership to costs of hiring a car for long-distance journeys a few times a year and switching to car-sharing for mid-distance trips around Warsaw and its suburbs.

1 comment:

Michael Dembinski said...

Excellent! Look forward to the next post!