Sunday 27 June 2021

Megane III – ten years old

The coming Thursday my car is bound to reach an important milestones in its history – a decade since its first registration. My father bought it brand-new on 1 July 2011 and gave it over to me in November 2016.

First 4 years during the car’s warranty period did not bode well for the future. The car had three breakdowns. Once had to be hauled to the Renault garage due to brake system vacuum pump failure and needed to have its thermostat and driver’s door hinges replaced. Over the next six years the onlydefect was the airbag sensor failure in May 2017. Since then – I have had it serviced once a year and except for spare part replacements driven by wear-and-tear, I did not need to sink money into the vehicle. The car, which for over two years has avoided journeys shorter than nine kilometres (six miles), now has nearly 75,000 kilometres on the clock.

In mid-distance and long-distance driving the car’s 1.4 turbocharged engine consumes on average 7 litres of petrol per 100 kilometres, while consumption below 6.5 litres is perfectly achievable in motorway driving with tempomat set at 110 kmph, aircon on and people and luggage on board. Sadly, the record-low consumption was 6.11 litres per 100 kilometres, but I hope to break that record.

I appreciate the car’s dynamics, low upkeep cost and reliability, but some details such as sixth gear which has characteristics of a fixth one (I can drive 68 kpmh at steady speed on it) or slowly heating up engine sometimes wind me up and both increase its appetite for fuel.

Given the vehicle’s excellent roadworthiness (no accident nor prangs, but one solid scratch and dent on rear-right wing arch made by me in February 2021), I plan to carry on with it as long as repairs do not become too frequent to be a big hassle for me, which I believe might happen in around five years. By that time we won’t part company.

For the record, two shots. To the right – taken on 19 September 2020, after a comprehensive interior cleaning and wash, looking almost like factory-new. Could have been in perfect condition for resale, a gift for nobody to bestow on.

Another one – taken on 16 June 2021, after belated spring cleaning at my parents drive. I do look after it and visit car washed during winter only to wash away the worst of the dirt. No signs of corrosion so far, nor other trace of its actual age.

No comments: