Sunday 10 July 2022

Szlachetna Paczka - as a leader

I have just realised if I disclose the news, my anonymity I try to ensure might become questionable. Bearing in mind the blog is not easy to reach and low enough in search engines’ algorithms, I consider my identity to be withheld properly, still.

After being a volunteer in 2020 and 2021 I pondered upon development opportunities within the charity. In March 2022, when I co-organised a transit warehouse of goods collected for refugees from Ukraine, I met several folks who had been involved in Szlachetna Paczka for years. We talked a lot about challenges and satisfactions drawn from co-ordinating the venture or being in charge of volunteers. I have found my skills, competencies and familiarity with the Paczka sufficient to take a step forward.

In April the former leader of my area did a pep talk to me to persuade me to take over headship of Ursynów area. I was reluctant, yet could not refute his argument it is an unrepeatable opportunity to learn team leader skills outside a corporation.

In May I found out I had been recommended for a function of logistics co-ordinator in the entire Mazowieckie province. Having learnt what my scope of duties would be, I turned down the offer, without even asking, whether I would be employed or volunteer. It did not matter, as my the function would occupy as much time, as a full-time job does.

Frankly speaking, I have felt under pressure to become the area leader. Fellow volunteers urged me to take it up, regional co-ordinators also insisted I was the right person for the function. None of the local folks wanted to apply for the role, had it not been for my candidacy, someone from the outside would become a leader, or the area would not be formed. As all the alternatives seem sub-optimal, so I have resolved to be in charge.

Before taking the decision I feared I would be a ruthless and demanding perfectionist as a leader, getting fucked up with my volunteers every time they do not deliver what they would promise. I feared my folks and I would get frustrated with my strictness and fondness of order and discipline. Currently I only fear the role would be nastily time-consuming and leave me tired-out for weeks.

I will keep you in the picture of how (un)well I would be doing as a charity manager, also saving the experience for posterity, but next week I'm having a two-day introductory workshop in my new role and will be too short of time to sit down to blogging.

No comments: