Sunday 14 June 2020

Polish presidential election in 2020 – two weeks ahead.

Truth be told, I have mixed feelings about the oncoming presidential election. The failed attempt to organise the mail-in voting on 10 May has fortunately turned out to be a massive cock-up, as the farcical ballot could not meet any criteria of democratic voting process. The first (and conceivably not the last) round of the election to be held in two weeks at least is staged by a third-party institution (Państwowa Komisja Wyborcza).

One can hope, but I doubt can ensure all four traits of presidential election enumerated in article 127, paragraph 1 of the constitution will be satisfied.
Despite unequal access to public media (which are a sludge, as Michael once rightly named) and limited time to garner 100,000 signatures by Rafał Trzaskowski (hats off to his team and mobilized potential voters), I still believe the election can be named equal.
I fear common participation in the election, especially abroad and to people who will be put on quarantine just before the vote might constitute a problem.
They law adopted by the parliament in early June broadly ensures everyone can vote directly.
Also the formula of voting broadly ensures the very process of casting a ballot will be done in secrecy.

Both the ruling party, afraid of social anger spurred by inept handling the pandemic, numerous scandals and “PiSites are more equal than others” and the opposition which has felt wind in their sales and intent on making use of it before it wanes, have been determined to hold the vote possibly quickly. Despite legal opinions, the election has been called in absence of any circumstances in which it can be done according to the constitution. The amendment bringing back the vote under the legal order, i.e. deferring the vote until the end of the incumbent president’s term has ultimately been rejected by the Senate. This all raises concerns whoever loses the election might file to the supreme court for deeming it unconstitutional.

I find the candidate swapping trick distasteful. Rafał Trzaskowski is a far superior candidate to Małgorzata Kidawa-Błońska, has skills she lacks to fight PiS and is more charismatic. No wonder PiSites fear him. Nevertheless the way Małgorzata Kidawa-Błońska was ousted from the race does not take my fancy. End justifies the means.

I do not feel like writing up short notes on each of candidates standing any chance to score at least 5% of votes as I did 5 and 10 years ago. I declare to vote for my neighbour (living half a mile from my home) and for anyone else than Andrzej Duda in the run-off, be it Rafał Trzaskowski, Szymon Hołownia, Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, Robert Biedroń or even Krzysztof Bosak.

The ongoing epidemic also instils fear in me. People behave as if the peril was over. Lack of discipline is visible especially when people rally to meet candidates. I fear the campaign and the vote might contribute to a spread of the disease. For such reason I will visit the polling station around 7:00 a.m., armed in gloves and my own pen. The stake is too high to give up on fulfilling my civic duty, especially since I have not missed a single election since acquiring the right to vote in December 2005.

No comments: