Sunday 27 December 2020

Pandemic diary – weeks 40 & 41

Monday, 14 December 2020
After the final weekend of Szlachetna Paczka, I will redirect you to another post, where I dedicate a separate paragraph to how it was handled amid the epidemic.

Tuesday, 15 December 2020
I met my former workmate. She and her family went through COVID-19 (and were tested) in October. Fortunately, none of them suffered from complication. Now she proudly holds antibodies and lives with all inconveniences of the daily grind, but without a fear of getting infected nor infecting somebody for a while.

Wednesday, 16 December 2020
Looking at how people are relaxed about the sanitary regime, I fear Christmas gatherings will result in excess funerals in January. After my exposure to around ten of my volunteers without face masks during the Szlachetna Paczka final weekend, I decide to get myself tested (PCR test) before visiting my parents.

Thursday, 17 December 2020
All of a sudden, the government announces a Narodowa Kwarantanna (by no means a legal term) in effect from 28 December to 17 January. Worth noting that:
- scope of restrictions differs from the one set forth in early November, in particular no limitations in moving about, except for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, are envisaged,
- the full lockdown was to be introduced if seven-day trailing average number of daily new infections was in excess of 27,000, while today it officially runs at 11,000,
- all restrictions are illegally imposed with a decree (rozporządzenie) rather than with a bill (ustawa).

Friday, 18 December 2020
Over the recent days one could hear rumours that doctors and medical staff do not rush to sign up for vaccinations against COVID-19, which are due to start before the end of the year. Three of my primary-school or high-school friends declare they will aim to get vaccinated possibly soon.

Saturday, 19 December 2020
I grow tired of hearing of deaths from COVID-19, not of people I have personally known, but of my friends’ friends, my family’s relatives etc. But I must not escape it mentally. The virus is around, it continues to be a deadly peril, one must not shrug it off.

Sunday, 20 December 2020
The “new variant” of the virus which has been detected in the UK and transmits more rapidly emerges as a yet another reason for concern. Is another, far more horrific phase in the offing?

Monday, 21 December 2020
Despite markedly lower number of new infections, death toll remains high (only some 25% lower than 3 weeks ago, while new infections declined by 60%). Doctors say people report to doctors with symptoms of COVID-19 too late, are not tested (which accelerates admission to hospitals), land in hospital ward too late, which decreases their chances to survive.

Tuesday, 22 December 2020
I get myself tested voluntarily, to ensure safe Christmas, especially after the final weekend of Szlachetna Paczka. The experience of being examined by people looking like astronauts is somewhat quirky. The very process of swabbing (for a genetic, reliable test, preceded by six days of nearly full self-isolation) is not as unpleasant as some people describe, yet I immediately came into tears and felt like throwing up.

Wednesday, 23 December 2020
Those who meet at Christmas tables (hopefully in possibly small circles) will have yet another reason for quarrelling – approach to the virus and preventive measures taken has emerged as another divide line in the society. With a negative results of the test performed yesterday, I set off to my parents. Since early October I met with them two times only, to protect them.

Thursday, 24 December 2020 – Saturday, 26 December 2020
The time of peace, serenity, scant testing and not thinking about the virus. Hopefully after Christmas we will turn over a new leaf in our fight against the pandemic.

No comments: