Sunday 13 December 2020

Pandemic diary – weeks 38 & 39

Monday, 30 November 2020
The number of new infections declines below 10,000 (and even below 6,000) after 25.1 thousand tests performed on Sunday. This is enough for the prime minister to announce victory in Poland’s struggle against the pandemic.
My mother’s uncle dies, aged 84. He is the first fatal victim of COVID-19 I have known personally.

Tuesday, 1 December 2020
I post on my facebook a graph showing the number of death per 1 million citizens from COVID-19 in October and November only in selected European countries. It shows only Czech Republic (711), Belgium (564) and Hungary (421) fare worse than Poland (387).

Wednesday, 2 December 2020
Official number of infections hits 1,000,000 in Poland. This sparks a justified debate how big the actual number of people who got through it is. Experts speak of four to five millions and the figures appears to be a fair estimation, yet far from herd immunity.

Thursday, 3 December 2020
Number of hospital beds and ventilators occupied by patients down with COVID-19 are declining. This brings palpable good news, despite still high number of daily deaths (6 at the front still).

Friday, 4 December 2020
Number of deaths per 1 million citizens exceeds 500 in Poland. In other words, 0.05% of Poland’s population died from COVID over last 9 months, majority over the last 2 months.

Saturday, 5 December 2020
My mother’s uncle (he was a well-known priest in Konstancin-Jeziorna) turns out to be a veritable COVID-party. I decide not to attend it and make use of +10C and sunshine, while my parents do not turn up to the church and make their way to the cemetery only and keep their distance which is not easy.

Sunday, 6 December 2020
I do not want to be a prophet of doom in terms of widespread vaccination plans in Poland, but wish to stress that if doctors are busy giving vaccinations to people, they will not be able to provide medical aid to patients in need at that time.

Monday, 7 December 2020
After sparse testing on Sunday, the number of new infections drops below 5,000. How come that every Monday some idiots claim the virus is retreating?

Tuesday, 8 December 2020
The vaccination programme is launched in the UK. In Poland the government unveils the national (I have allergy to that word) vaccination strategy. If 180,000 citizen are vaccinated weekly, it means in one year just less than 30% of population will have immunity. On top of that another 30% will have had the infection. The herd immunity is realistic in Poland in 2022, provided enough citizens will be willing to get vaccine, in which I doubt.

Wednesday, 9 December 2020
Number of deceases from COVID-19 hits 0.10% of population in Italy and Spain and 0.15% in Belgium. In Poland it nears 0.06%.

Thursday, 10 December 2020
A thought for today – I am in two minds there those who get vaccinated receive privileges, while those who do not, are stigmatised. This smacks of Orwell’s “some animals are more equal than others”.

Friday, 11 December 2020
I thought wearing a face mask outdoors in colder period of the year would not be a nuisance. I did predict that temperature difference between air outside and air breathed out of my mouth would make my spectacles mist over even if I ensure no gap between the mask and my chin or nose. I still believe unless you are in a crowded place and cannot keep a 1.5-metre distance, this obligation makes little sense, but discourages people from physical activity outdoors

Saturday, 12 December 2020
Szlachetna Paczka final weekend ensues. I don’t feel like writing much about that. People are irresponsible, so I shun them as much as possible. Participation in the noble initiative in the time of pandemic has not given me much joy.

No comments: