Sunday 19 April 2020

Online dating – first chapter closed

In this bleak period I feel obliged to follow up on my hands-on experience with the most popular online dating application. As I pointed out in the opening post, the question why so many attractive women are single, remains valid, with all my suppositions shared then holding plausible.

Girl 1, Ewa (names not changed), aged 31
We started texting on Tuesday, 11 February. The Tinder conversation went on smoothly, then we switched to Messenger and met in a cafeteria in Galeria Mokotów on Sunday, 16 February, evening. Except for the greeting part, when Ewa offered to pay for us both, underlining she was “a strong and independent woman” and I had to convince her I would pay as the one who had asked her out, the date was quite successful, without a moment of silence (which is the worst that can happen during first date). We were forced to farewell by the café staff as the closing time had come. Ewa promised to ask me out, yet after two or three days she ceased to write voluntarily and her replies to my messages were more and more succinct. The conversation died out naturally, or in other words Ewa vanished like a ghost. No regrets, as Ewa, as a workaholic and clinging excessively on to her independence, would not have been a perfect match.

On 21 February I removed my first Tinder profile and set up a revamped one. Having familiarised with how the application worked, I decided to start over and boost my chances to pair up.

Girl 2, Justyna, aged 34
We started texting on Friday, 28 February and met in town on Tuesday, 3 March. She turned out to be a nice, quite shy, yet crazy girl, though in terms of physical attractiveness not fitting my taste. During our meeting she confessed she was still getting over a break-up with her ex-boyfriend and actually told me the (pitiful) story of their relationship. As a matter of principle, some time ago I had resolved to cease to serve as a shoulder to cry on for heartbroken women and I stick to it. We texted for a while and in late March we officially wrote the final “goodbyes” to each other. Lost without regret.

Girl 3, Joanna, aged 29
We started texting on Tuesday, 10 March. Circumstances were not favourable to meet in person, yet Joanna, a psychiatrist working at Sz**tal Bró****ski adjudicated it would be safe to go for a walk. We met in late afternoon on Sunday, 15 March, as first lockdown measures were already in place. I chose ul. Płatnicza at Stare Bielany as a venue. We had a nice, nearly two-hour walk, however I believe she was somewhat disillusioned upon confronting how she had imagined me with the reality. After the meeting the exchange of messages got less intense, finally three days later she apologised for not being in touch and to get back once things shape up. I realised this was a lie, yet I am not sure whether it was about me or about the COVID-19 related mess at her workplace (my friend’s father works there, so I know this could have been the reason).

Girl 4, Ola, aged 29
I was about to give up on Tinder, but during a tedious teleconference with a client on Friday 20 March, out of pure boredom I began swiping profiles. She became my match two days later and just out of good manner I decided to start a conversation. Ola had returned from abroad on 16 March and was staying at home for 2 weeks as part of obligatory quarantine. This meant we had to wait to meet until Tuesday, 31 March, on the last day when walks in the groups of two were permitted. The two-hour walk ended in her flat which I left… around midnight. We then met three times more before Easter, then she travelled to her family home for Easter, with intention to stay there for a while and… signalled she was not interested in continuing the relationship. Given in many respects she was not a perfect match, little regret again. I feel guilty. I had decided to go out (or rather stay in) with her for two reasons – I felt lonely during the lockdown and my hormones were (and still are) buzzing. We got physical far too quickly and this was a mistake. I initiated everything, she was passively giving in, lacking assertiveness to tell me to back down if she felt uncomfortably. Besides, during texting before meeting in reality she told she did not want a boy intent on developing just the physical aspect of the relationship, so I must have let her down, or she could have felt deceived.

What I have learnt about myself or rather what has been confirmed?
1. I am not cut out for online communication. I cannot waste more than a few days texting before meeting up. I totally do not understand how people can exchange messages for weeks before they see each other.
2. I need to hold on to something, i.e. I need to feel the commitment of a girl, otherwise I clam up and let go.
3. Statistically, most girls I could meet are not perfect matches, this is absolutely normal, yet the form of rejection matter. I have no problem communicating to a girl there is no future for us and have no problem getting such message. But I do have problem with ghosting, which is the cruellest and most painful form of rejection.
4. When texting with a girl, I did not build an image of her in my mind. While setting off to meet, I would rather get to know her nearly from scratch. On the girls’ side, I feel my Tinder profile was creating a better impression of me than I did myself in reality.

Having dated four women over the last two months I need now a break to bring myself into order. After the last experience, I am in process of convincing myself I am not a rapist and should not feel overly guilty of the fast progress of getting to know Ola very well. Next, I will need to convince myself not every woman will hurt or deceive me and that some women might have some courage and will not vanish into the air.

Had it not been for the pandemic, I would probably set up a new profile on Tinder, though it would be more advisable to take my time and cool off. Coping with the past is under way, yet prospects of future are disheartening. With stringent lockdown measures in place, social life has to be put on hold for indefinite time. No days to count down, no chance to meet somebody in the real world, while just living it up. Except for longing for direct contact with other humans, I am reasonably doing well in the lockdown. Maybe if the epidemic eases and restrictions are lifted, some forms of real-world dating will become possible again.

No comments: